Marine Surveyors & Engineers in Ireland
A recent fatality in Cardiff which occurred on a motor cruiser while tied up alongside a pontoon with engine running and cockpit enclosed highlights the danger of carbon monoxide on small craft.
The recently published report into to the loss of the Laurent Giles Vertue PEGASUS earlier this year whilst on a swinging mooring in Galway Bay concludes that the explosion was most likely as a result of the gas hose "..... becoming loose or partially detached ...... " from the cooker tail allowing gas to flow into the bilges. The report also suggests that "...had a gas alarm been installed ..... it would have sounded ..... and could have prevented the events that followed".
1928 to 2015