Carbon Monoxide Hazard

By DCM
Friday, 10th February 2017

A recent fatality in Cardiff which occurred on a motor cruiser while tied up alongside a pontoon  with engine running and cockpit enclosed highlights the danger of carbon monoxide on small craft.

The owner it is understood was found collapsed in the cabin and Paramedics called to the scene found that two other individuals who had gone on board to administer CPR had also begun to suffer the effects of carbon monoxide.

The boat was not fitted with a CO detector.

Earlier in 2016 a couple lost their lives in very similar circumstances on a motor cruiser, also fitted with a canvass cockpit cover and without a CO detector/alarm.